Where is Your New Gas Tax Money Going?July 6, 2017
The dominoes stop fallingJuly 12, 2017
Welcome to the first edition of the Friday Five, the highlights of what we read this week to stay informed. Each week, we’ll highlight five policy-related articles, tips, and tidbits for your Friday. Feel free to read them thoroughly so you can be interesting at your post-church lunch on Sunday.
- Trump/Putin Meeting: As we write this, President Trump is meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin at the G20 Summit in Hamburg, Germany. There are a plethora of topics to be covered: Russian meddling, Syria, North Korea… The Hill has highlighted 5 Things to Watch in the Trump-Putin Meeting.
- Where is the Healthcare Bill? The end of June was all abuzz with news concerning the Senate’s healthcare bill. Things have been a little quite on that front since returning from the Fourth of July holiday. To catch you up on where the debate stands, the GOP and Senate Leader Mitch McConnell plan to delay the vote another two weeks while they try to rally the troops, while Democrats are getting pressure from the far left to consider universal healthcare coverage.
- Workforce Gap is Nation-Wide: We’ve talked a lot about the critical workforce gap South Carolina is facing. The Hill has on op-ed on A Guide for Washington in Filling America’s Skilled Worker Gap, in which the Upstate gets a shout-out for the great work BMW and local college and universities are doing with apprenticeships.
- Who is Mary Katherine Goddard? Her name is on the Declaration of Independence, but chances are you’ve never heard of this Founding Mother. The Washington Post takes a closer look.
- Fourth of July Mannequin Murders: Working at the Consumer Product Safety Commission may be the best-kept-secret government job in Washington. Every 4th July they do a demonstration on the safety hazards of fireworks. This article lists the deaths of six mannequins and one watermelon from least to most amusing through the years.
BONUS: The South Carolina gas tax increased by 2 cents last Saturday. Want to know where the money is going? Yeah, we did, too. So we outlined it for you.
Have a great weekend!